Standards support our everyday life much more than we may think. Without standards, our life would not be as organized as it is today. We would have difficulties in doing basic things that we now take for granted. Imagine if the notation of time or the track width of trains were not standardized, or imagine if we were not able to use our mobile devices once we are out of the reach of our operators’ networks, for instance abroad.
Another fine example are USB connectors. There are still many variants (USB-A,USB-C, micro-USB, …) but at least every variant is well described in a standard. Although it would be nicer if there was only USB variant of course.
This training module is an attempt to make standardization accessible and understandable. It covers the essentials that are required to get a good overview of the standardisation field. It introduces key concepts that will guide you through the tricky landscape of standardization of the Digital Twin.
After completing this module you can
- understand how standards are needed to guarantee interoperability, essential to the functioning of our technological world
- describe the role of Standards Development Organizations and how their structured approach to standards development benefits innovation, trade and society
- identify the major standardisation organisations active in the Digital Twin sector
- form a vision of which standards are relevant for Digital Twin for manufacturing
- find standards by applying search criteria
- understand how industrial consortia can create standards